What with all the love for meat and vegetables, plus Bonnie’s recent dinner of Guinness Stew, beef stew is on the menu! It’s a long, inactive prep recipe and the result is delicious, tender beef with very little effort!
There are instructions below for using a slow cooker or a Dutch Oven - my kitchen only has the latter! Note, a Dutch Oven requires less cook time. The slow cooker should be set to High, and the Dutch Oven equivalent is an oven at 325 F, but cooked for half the time.
Slow Beef Stew
Seasoning for the beef:
1/8 tsp thyme, dried
1/8 tsp onion powder
1/8 tsp cayenne
1/8 tsp oregano, dried
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
3/4 tsp tsp paprika
1 1/4 tsp salt
3/4 tsp garlic powder
(mix, use 1 1/2 tsp, reserve rest for another batch!)
3 tbs olive oil
3lbs beef stew meat, 1” pieces
1 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
4 tbs butter
3 tbs tomato paste
1 lb cremini mushrooms, sliced
4 tbs AP flour
1 pint beef stock, room temp
A round 1/4 tsp of each: dried thyme, oregano, basil
1/8 tsp ground allspice
1 lb new potatoes, quartered
2 carrots, halved lengthwise and sliced
1 c pearl onions, thawed
1 c peas, thawed
2 tbs fresh parsley leaves, chopped
1) Toss the beef with the seasoning. Add a tbs of olive oil to a large saute pan over medium high heat and sear the seasoned beef in batches.
2) Toss the seared beef, butter, mushrooms, flour, beef stock, tomato paste, herbs and spices into a slow cooker or Dutch Oven. Cover and set slow cooker to high for 1 hr/Dutch Oven in 325 F oven for 30 minutes.
3) Add the potatoes and carrots and continue cooking for 6hrs in a slow cooker or 3 in a Dutch Oven.
4) Add the onions and cook 1 hr longer in the slow cooker, 30 more minutes in a Dutch Oven.
5) Stir in the peas and parsley and serve!