A recipe for a sweet potato soup with mascarpone caught my eye yesterday, but I had to DQ it because of the mascarpone! Yup, still living dairy-free over here, so I made my own delicious sweet potato soup!
If you’re wondering where to get garam masala, India is a good option. Also, the bulk section of the Co-Op keeps it in supply.
Curried Sweet Potato Soup
3 medium-large sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced into 1 inch rounds
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped fine
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 can coconut milk
5 c chicken stock
1 tbs garam masala
1 tsp curry powder
Preheat the oven to 350F
1) Toss the sliced sweet potatoes with some olive oil, salt and pepper. Lay on a rimmed baking sheet and bake for 45 minutes to an hour (until the potatoes are very tender).
2) Near the end of this cooking time, heat a few glugs of olive oil in a pot, add the onion and celery and sauté for about five minutes. Add the garlic, stirring, and cook for half a minute.
3) Add the curry and garam masala, stirring constantly for another minute.
4) Add the sweet potatoes and stir well, then add the stock and let it come to a boil. Reduce heat to a steady simmer, cover and leave for fifteen minutes.
5) Turn off the heat and add the can of coconut milk.
6) Using an immersion blender, blend til smooth. Season to taste and serve!